Welcome to all......

I would like to welcome ALL newcomers to my blog: Gene Chapman's ALS Journey. I was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gerhigs disease) back on 1/12/2010. It was confirmed on 2/12/2010. I enrolled and started in a 3rd stage drug trial out of the Mayo Jacksonville, Fl. Clinic that will hopefully stop but not cure ALS. My first dosing was on 4/30/2010 and my wife or my daughter in law administers two 20 cc dosages twice a day, one per sitting, 12 hours apart via a picc line that was surgically placed in my jugular vein.

I have filed for and should get disability by the end of August, 2010. Till then, my wife and I carve out a living with our two dogs in the Gainesville, Fl. area.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dark Things......

Good afternoon to all, some updates on whats going on. First, Sen. Lemieux's office is still working on my Medicare foul up, this is frustrating to me because I need things and home health help and physical therapy. Second, I have just finished my 5 day steroid treatment and I am back where I was 6 days ago. During that five day period my overall ability improved and the pain was eliminated. I hope my wife calls my doctor for long term steroid use because I am in pain. I have not gotten up except to go to the bathroom yet today because I just don't feel like it. This could easily turn into a three pain pill day. Third, today is my 29th wedding anniversary to the gift from my father above, Sharon. Fourth, our five pound chihuahua has been sick and is coming home from the vet today, an unplanned expense. Now on to today's post.....

About two weeks ago my wife brought this concept to my attention; I call it the reduction or elimination of the "dark things" in our lives. To be specific, I make the choice to monitor and manage all the dark things that I say, hear,and watch. I choose simply to do this out of love for my wife and for my family. This disease has been difficult but especially so on my wife Sharon because she got hit by every thing. What I choose to do, I do for her and to be obedient to the will of my father in Heaven

Again, to be specific; there are certain TV shows I will not watch. There is certain music I will not listen to. Whenever I think of it I bring up this mental picture of a a barrier of love around my family. This is not my love this is my fathers agape love that he gives to us. Since my primary source of entertainment is the TV, I am picky about what watch. I wish to be clear here so I will restate this belief in a more concise manner: I believe that there are evil forces that exist that have manifested themselves through my disease and the results of this disease.

I must be very careful and always remember that I am not being punished nor did I commit "bad karma". This is not the "luck of the draw". I simply choose not to be discouraged or allow my encouragement to be taken or stolen from me. I also choose to protect my heart. That protection extends to my wife and family which are the two things plus the relationship with my father in heaven that make up the three things that are most important to me, even more important than my life itself. This is not done from a legalistic "have to " position but from a father's love for those who love him. It is my choice to set and be the example of love to my wife and family, this extends beyond the encouragement for husbands found in Ephesians chapter 6.

So here I am asking what does this really mean? Am I just guarding whats important or am I connecting with something much much bigger than I am? These are thoughts that I must consider and try to answer in next weeks post. Already the thought of an old barn comes to mind..........

Love, Peace, and Understanding to all, please keep Sharon and I in your prayers, Gene/slc

P.S. For more information on this viewpoint read C.S. Lewis's, The Screwtate Letters

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gene,
    Just discovered your blog--yeah, I'm slow (slower than you thought, huh?). I say that 'cause you're faster than I thought ... and deeper! In discussing you and Sharon a little while ago with my sister Nancy, I commented on the depth and conviction of your words. We had been talking about "PAPA" and the infinite detail of HIS work in us; HIS day to day ministry to us and through us. Then your thoughts came to mind and I heard myself saying, "none of us knows the depth or extent of a fellow believers faith. There just isn't enough time to talk to that depth with more than just a very few." And that is why your blog is so important, it gives those who know 'a little' about you and Sharon a chance to walk with you in the depth of your souls. It is a hard walk, as is yours, for we cannot feel your pain we can only see and hear of it.
    You both have filled our hearts; your blog is causing an overflow!
    Love ... Ray REaves

    ReplyDelete