Welcome to all......

I would like to welcome ALL newcomers to my blog: Gene Chapman's ALS Journey. I was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gerhigs disease) back on 1/12/2010. It was confirmed on 2/12/2010. I enrolled and started in a 3rd stage drug trial out of the Mayo Jacksonville, Fl. Clinic that will hopefully stop but not cure ALS. My first dosing was on 4/30/2010 and my wife or my daughter in law administers two 20 cc dosages twice a day, one per sitting, 12 hours apart via a picc line that was surgically placed in my jugular vein.

I have filed for and should get disability by the end of August, 2010. Till then, my wife and I carve out a living with our two dogs in the Gainesville, Fl. area.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

The second thing that frustrates me is........

This is day two of the life of this blog and I already have 2 Dear friends and one soon to be family member who are followers, Yea! Now, because I want to be clear about the things about ALS that frustrate me; I plan on highlighting the top 5 or so, before moving onto something else.

The second thing about ALS that frustrates me is how it has changed my life!!! (Folks, I just want you to know this is going to be a $%$#@!&* of a post) because ALS has changed my life so much for the negative, that it's hard for me not to be angry about this situation. Here are a list of things I had to "STOP" doing because of ALS: Cave & Cavern or any type of diving, I had just started into U/W photography too! My job and we lived were I worked, so we had to move after 8 years & 4 months. Sex became a major chore and energy drainer & that's all I going to say about that. The quality of my life went down because of the elimination of my income (the SSA 5 month waiting period really sucks! Let's get the congress to do without there pay for five months & see what they do with no income & no savings.) I can't travel like I used too, I have to get out of the car & walk around for 15 mins. or so, after a 3 hour or more drive. Also, about that; I don't have enough energy to shift my weight around on a memory foam cushion while in the car! My speech has slowed way down as well as my though process as well. I have fallen more times than I can count & that fear is always with me. These are just the 3,4 or 5 top things that aggravate me about ALS. There isn't room to go into detail about EVERYTHING!

As a result of ALS, my lovely wife of 28 years has taken on allot more things (tasks) of our life together than she should or is at times capable of. Without going in depth too much out of respect for her; the financial issues and having to ask for help from just about everyone, has really bumped her Fibromyalgae up to a new pain level with migraines to boot! It is causing her to be sick allot and she is hourly not salaried. Fuhermore, her life has changed more for her, than for me, in my opinion.

Now, I know that my heavenly Father operates on Grace and not shame. I am just trying to make sense of the Why!?! That is what I am struggling with right now, today and for the past two weeks. I have asked for help in this area & I know that if I seek, I will find, knock and the door opened, ask and the answer will be given.......! (Now please, don't give me any 1/2 as*, flippant answer designed to make YOU feel good and that will PIS*** me off. I have become aware of those type of answers so my advise to the world is this; If you don't know what to say, don't say anything!) more to follow, Gene

2 comments:

  1. Well, I just typed a long response to your blog this morning and it was deleted so.... maybe it wasn't meant to be said.
    Thank you for sharing your heart with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene, I am so sorry that these things are happening, We love you both so much. I have been talking to Sharon about how we can help more. I have always told you that you are special to us, nothing will ever change....

    ReplyDelete